Friday, July 4, 2014

Food: Circa, Parramatta

Hello. Hello. Hello.

This is my first official posting on F. Hehe.


Yesterday, I went to Parramatta with some of my besties, Anita and Renee.

It was no surprise that I was running late, but it turns out my friends were also running late. Except I was running an hour behind and they were only 15 mins behind. Mind you, I woke up before my alarm and decided to do productive things. Do you know the thing where when you have more time, you think you have heaps more time and then you go slower because you've already missed the original bus/train you were going to catch? Or is that just me?
I arrived at around 12pm, which I'd like to think perfectly timed to eat as soon as I got off the bus.
At first, we went to Three Ropes but there wasn't much space to settle for all three of us, so we opted for Circa. Thank goodness it was only a short walk because we're more about the eating and less about the walking. 

[On a little side note, I don't claim to be a culinary expert or any sort of expert. I just want to share my opinion on food that I have tried and if restaurants are worth the visit. Some of you may not agree with my opinion but it really is each to their own.]

We arrived at Circa and it was already full inside but we got a good sunny spot to sit and was greeted by a lovely French waitress. It's a nifty little cafe tucked away in the streets of Parramatta, creatively using a garage attached to terraces. 
(cafe comes equipped with a certified hipster)

I am not going to lie, I didn't know most of the stuff that was on the menu but yay for trying new things! There is a fair range of things on the menu with moderate prices ranging from $7 to $19. Unfortunately, on the bottom of the page of the menu, it states "no variations to the menu, please inform staff of any dietary requirements or allergies". I don't know if this means they will inform you of choices you shouldn't make or cater to your dietary requirements. Bless the gods that I do not have any food allergies. 
I ended up getting a hot chocolate (how juvenile) and French toast (never had French toast before). The hot chocolate was slightly watered down and I prefer mine to be milky and on the slightly sweet side. The French toast was pretty amazeballs. The fruit was fresh. Sometimes you get strawberry that are just about going soft or the ones that are sour and not yet ripe, but not on my dish. There was an orangey-yellow fruit in my dish that neither Renee, Anita or I knew what it was (maybe you do? Let me know). The labne was creamy and was just the right amount, working well with the toast and fruits. The added pistachio give the dish added texture. The bread was soft, coated well and cooked perfectly golden. Overall, the combination of flavours mixed well for someone like me who has a bit of a sweet tooth. 
I would recommend this dish for those who are looking for something that's not savoury and want something fruity as snack (maybe for big eaters) or brunch meal. It is well worth the price paid simply because of the quality of the fruit. And you would not be able to recreate this clever dish.
African Red Hot Chocolate; exhibits the hallmarks of African grown cocoa beans with delightful high fruity notes
4.5/5

French toast with poached rhubarb, mascarpone labne, cinnamon, berries and crushed pistachio
14
Anita had bacon and eggs and a mocha. She says it's the best bacon and eggs she has had. Just by looking at the sandwich, it is definitely is worth the value. The rating for this cafe is looking good so far!
Mocha (wasn't on the menu)
4.5
Barrosa Valley cured Schultz bacon, fried free-range eggs, house made tomato & capsicum relish and aioli on schiacciata bread
12

Renee went for a poached egg dish with tomatoes on toast. The egg was oozing yolky goodness! She says that the dish has a lot of pesto, so maybe reconsider if you are not into pesto. It is a dish screaming healthy with generous amounts of avocado accompanied with three large slice of tomato.

Iced coffee; deliciously sweet and balanced.
5
Heirloom tomatoes, poached eggs, avocado smash, house made basil pesto on olive sourdough toast.
12
Overall, I think the cafe is a lovely place to meet friends for a good catch up, as I did with my friends. We fought over the details of our hilarious twelvie (tb) days and dumb attitudes in the past. The cafe is emitting good vibes and relaxed atmosphere. It is cosy and quaint, the food is lovely and the service is great. Also, its not a long walk from Parramatta which is always a bonus for those who are extra hungry. Thumbs up for Circa! 

Circa on Urbanspoon

Afterwards, Anita and Renee were able to score themselves free strawberries and cream tea from T2 as they were born in 1996 and 18. T2 was having a promotion for turning 18 and was giving free tea to their birthday buds. Unfortunately, I was not born in 1996. :( Today, and the weekend coming up, they are gifting tea cubes to people so maybe I'll drop by T2 if it's within my vicinity. They are also having 18% off on everything, which by the way, never happens at T2. 

You know it was a good day when at the end of it you're so exhausted but you want to stay up doing more things because you're in a great mood. I hope to go on more food adventures with these amigos.

- Helen

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Helen! I just approved your blog claim. Now your Urbanspoon profile picture is displayed on your blog page. You can upload a blog-specific photo if you prefer, and can change a few other blog settings there. Also, if you vote for a restaurant that you've reviewed on your blog, we now show your vote next to your post everywhere on our site.

    https://www.urbanspoon.com/br/70/13431/Sydney/Capital-Eff.html

    Best,
    Greg

    www.urbanspoon.com

    --
    greg(at)urbanspoon(dot)com

    ReplyDelete