Thursday, July 17, 2014

Food: Devon Cafe, Surry Hills

Upon recommendations to try out this place out, my friend and I ventured to Surry Hills. This cafe is only a 5 minute walk from Central Station which is such a blessing for anybody, like me, who thinks that getting to the CBD is a trek. The first world problems of living in the middle of nowhere. And let me tell you now, Sydney public transportation system is not your friend. It costs you a limb and a half to access this service and it's never on time. The woes!

Before I continue this post any further, I would like to apologise for the quality of photos on this blog thus far and in the future. I feel extremely uncomfortable spending a long time getting a photo of food with my phone, let alone whipping out my SLR. As a person who a photography enthusiast and refuses to "like" photos on facebook because of terrible lighting, I should take more of an effort to get better photos. I don't know how to discreetly take photos using an SLR. Hopefully, I will grow some balls and forget about people judging me. But for now, please forgive the quality. 

I am a very picky eater but I am trying to fix this by ordering meals that I don't normally go for. The problem with that is I don't have the money to get a meal that I do like if I really hate it, being a uni student and all. I try to play it safe as much as I can but for some reason, on this day, instead of opting the french toast with NUTELLA on it (anybody who know me, know I live for nutella), I go for this pot of tomato sauce. Let me just say this, I don't like tomatoes. Tomato sauce is alright. I don't know how you are supposed to eat the dish I ordered. Heck, I don't even remember what it is called. It was a pot of tomato sauce with two half-cooked eggs and bread on the side, put simply. This is on the breakfast menu by the way and I thought you really couldn't go wrong with breakfast food. Oh, I was wrong. So wrong. I struggled to finish this dish. I poked the egg yolk out but it just mixed with the tomato sauce. It was just tomato sauce. I don't understand the dish. I will never order it again. 
That all being said, there is nothing wrong with the dish, I just wasn't feeling eating a slice of bread drowned in tomato sauce mixed with egg yolk. Perhaps this is because I am accustomed to an Asian palate but this was definitely not for me. My biggest regret is not getting that french toast. I may return to Devon cafe to try that French toast out because quality-wise, the cafe is on point. 
The hot chocolate was foamy, creamy and perfect drinking temperature when I received it. Not too sweet and not too watery.

So, in all, I would definitely go to Devon Cafe, I just wouldn't go for this dish. I can't really give bad ratings to a cafe that has quality food that I just don't have the taste for.

Hot chocolate
4
Two chicks in Basque; baked eggs, piperade, pistou, sourdough toast
14.5
(with blood sausage 5)

Kaya toast; coconut jam, butter, light soy 63' eggs, brioche toast
12.5
I tried a bit of the coconut jam that my friend got with the Kaya toast and it was delish'. The rest of the dish I can't really comment on but we agreed that we just didn't have the taste palate for it.

The front of the cafe is small and so the back room, meant for storage, was opened up for seating. We weren't seated in the best place. Sharing a large table with backless stools with six other people between a garage door was opened and the fridge and produce. To me, the decor was a bit confusing. They had a flowers on the table and the golden accented signage which didn't really complement the blue, artificial graffiti walls and wired fences. I wouldn't say this is the most comfortable place to settle down and catch up with friends as my back started to ache from having no support.


If I do go back for the French toast one day, I will be sure to update you. Perhaps it will change my perspective of Devon Cafe.
Devon Cafe on Urbanspoon
- Helen

1 comment:

  1. It looks delicious :)

    http://sassycarolyn.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete