Thursday, July 24, 2014

Food: Rustic Pearl, Surry Hills

(finally busted out the SLR, yay!)



Let me begin by telling you how much I love the decor. I just have a thing for interior design, so I'm going to comment on the design of restaurants. Rustic Pearl, as its name suggests, features a rustic design. It's actually quite a small restaurant and so there tends to be a line. Luckily, my friends and I went around brunch time so we just beat the rush. And even though there were people waiting, the waiters didn't rush us or anything. They probably knew that these people would wait to dine there because I would.

LIKE OH EM GEE! I cannot fault this restaurant for anything but being so far away from where I live!

Avocado smoothie; topped w/pistachio
7
When it comes to avocado smoothies, I'm used to the ones with just avocado, a sugar (most of the time condensed milk), milk and occasionally, a scoop of ice cream. No, this is no ordinary basic bitch style smoothie. I didn't think it would be because it's SEVEN dollars, a lot for a drink. But I really love avocado and avocados aren't cheap. It was worth the money. Coming in a oval cup with a steel spoon straw (yes, there is a spoon at the end of the straw), it caught me off guard. You can distinctly taste the honey within the drink. Not what I'm used to, but I'll accept it. The pomegranate were sour bursts against the sweetness of the honey and pistachio gave it texture. I love the pistachio flavour in the smoothie but I prefer my smoothie smooth (just like me, ha!). 

Fresh drinking coconut; w/ fruit garnish
6.5
My friend got the coconut drink and I expected it to come in a glass, but nope.

Sucuk bruschetta w/ char grilled sucuk, melted buffalo mozzarella, fresh tomato, avocado, rocket, pomegranate molasses & soft boiled organic egg
17
Being the indecisive person that I am, I asked the waiter what I should get and he suggested this. Um, freaking delish'! Normally, I'm not a fan of large amounts of fresh tomato, but this has to be the exception. Egg was perf. Sucuk was perf. Cheese was perfectly melted. Balance of the dish was perf. I had to saw through the crust of the toast but I don't mind because it was so scrum-dilly-umptious! Initially, we thought the dressing was balsamic vinegar but it actually pomegranate molasses. Its a tangy syrup made from boiled down pomegranate juices. The best feature is the generous layer of avocado. I'm going to keep coming back for more!

pan fried free-range chicken breast salad w/ crispy bacon, chickpeas, char grilled zucchini, agresto, almond & spiced apricot dressing
18

Homemade mixed wild mushrom gnocchi w/ tomato, garlic, parsley & goat's cheese
18
We shared this dish and although it was perfectly fine, I prefer the gnocchi at Criniti's. I believe its just a matter of preference here. Its very flavoursome with tomato being the strongest flavour. The pasta was soft and wasn't quite pillowy but nevertheless, its a dish to enjoy with its assortment of mushrooms.

Smoked waygu omelette w/ buffalo mozzarella, spinach skordalia, bacon dust, tomato relish & toast
17
Overall, I love this place to bits and I am going to go back. They will probably end up taking all of my money. Well, the very little money I have left since the dishes range from 17/18 dollars and go up to 24. It's not cheap but its not expensive either, but definitely worth the money you pay. 

They also do note that there is a waiting time with ordering dishes because they are trying to assure quality and freshness. This isn't so much bother if you're catching up with friends and they do bring out drinks for you in the meantime. It will only be a problem if you're starving, in which case, you'd still wait. 

They offer gluten free alternatives for a surcharge of $1. If you read the menu, you can see that they offer quality for a reasonable price.
Rustic Pearl on Urbanspoon

- Helen

1 comment:

  1. Helen, you have now instilled a desire for rustic pearl in me, this restaurant will be the first place I visit in Surry Hills. (I will tell you about it when I do get the chance to go!) Because of the prices, I may go in with high expectations but from your positive experience I’m sure it will be worth it. I’m a culinary/dining amateur but the smoothie and coconut drinks look so appealing + that bruschetta -- wow! Actually all the dishes pictured look delicious.

    Lol, smooth indeed ;-)

    ReplyDelete